How to survive the Christmas Period if you are separated or considering separating from your spouse
Christmas is a wonderful time of year but let’s face it, it can also be the most stressful time. Not only do you have to spend a whole heap of money on food and presents, find time to do all the Christmas parties and activities but you then have to spend Christmas day with relatives who you may or may not particularly like. Perhaps you are considering separating from your spouse but have decided to get through Christmas and New Year first. So how do you survive?
- Take a step back! You are only human so don’t try to be a super hero! You can only do what you can.
- Work off a budget. Don’t be tempted to splurge on things you can’t afford, especially if money is tight or you are considering a separation from your spouse.
- If you are already separated, make sure you and your former partner have a plan in place about when you will each spend time with the children over the Christmas period. If you are already in conflict regarding this, please contact us urgently so that formal arrangements can be put in place before the Christmas period begins.
- If you (like so many) have a difficult relative/s, try not to let their comments stress or upset you. Remember that the day is as much about your little family as it is everyone else’s. Focus on making the day special for yourselves and your little family and block out any negativity from others.
- Do your best to avoid conflict and make sure it does not happen in front of your children. Remember their best interests must always come first.
- Don’t go over old wounds – if you have previously had issues with your family or your spouse’s family, long term resentment can spill over when your spending extended time together. It is rarely a good idea to raise these issues in the middle of your Christmas celebrations.
- Don’t drink too much alcohol.
- If you or your children are not safe, call the police immediately or if you are considering self-harm, please contact Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636 as they are available 24/7 over the holiday period by phone, email or online chat.
We hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year. However, if you need assistance with your separation or are contemplating separating from your spouse over this time, our experienced family lawyers will be contactable over the Christmas period – 38708244 (Toowong) or 3264 7692 (Albany Creek).